Your privacy is very important to us. If you are concerned about giving out your main password, here is a way to avoid that.
Switching your password authentication to use 2FA (two factor authentication) instead of a simple password would definitely ease your mind.
Then you could generate app specific passwords for those clients and services (like SaneBox) that need passwords. This allows SaneBox to access your email server but the password you share is specific and unique to SaneBox.
What it does:
Two-factor authentication adds a second level of authentication to an account log-in. When you have to enter only your username and one password, that’s considered a single-factor authentication.
Common Email Providers Who Use 2FA:
How to Setup Fastmail App Password.
With Fastmail, you can setup an app password even if 2FA isn’t turned on.
- Visit your Password & Security page here.
- Click on “New App Password” button.
- Under Name, Choose “Custom” and then type SaneBox so you can easily remember it.
- Select either Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, or Mail (IMAP/POP/SMTP).
- Copy and paste the code into the password box for SaneBox.
How to setup an app password in Zoho
- Visit App Passwords section under Security.
- Click on Generate New Password button.
- Type the app name. We recommend typing in “SaneBox” for easy tracking of your app passwords.
- Copy and Paste this password into the SaneBox password box.
How to setup an app password with Rackspace.
To create an app password with Rackspace, you’ll follow these instructions.
How do I remember all of these passwords!?
We strongly recommend a password wallet like 1password. That way you can have long, unique, really random passwords for each account you have and at the same time let a piece of software remember them.