Historically BlackBerry hasn’t been great at understanding folders, which made it hard for SaneBox to work: most users would see all their new email appear in their Inbox - as if the SaneBox filtering wasn’t working. However, when viewing the same Inbox from any other client (desktop or mobile) the email would be filtered as expected.
The latest versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server do understand folders. It requires “ wireless email reconciliation” to be turned on in order to be able to see your SaneBox server folders. Here’s how to make sure it’s turned on.
However making use of your email folders is still incredibly clunky on a BlackBerry. Here’s how:
- From the Home screen, go to Messages.
- Display the menu, and select Options Email Settings ( Email preferences for Blackberry OS6).
- Click the trackwheel or press the menu key, and select Folder Redirection.
- In the Folder Redirection menu, highlight the Mailbox and select Expand.
- Highlight the Inbox and select Expand.
- Highlight the folder for which you want to turn on redirection.
- Display the menu, and select Change Option.
- Display the menu, and select Save to save the changes. New email messages that are filtered to the subfolder will now appear on the BlackBerry in a subfolder of the same name. Existing email messages from the subfolder will not reconcile and synchronize to the BlackBerry subfolder.
Note: If you are unable to select Expand for any of the folders, or if the Change Option menu option is unavailable, try turning Wireless Reconcile on the handheld off and then on again. You can find Wireless Reconcile in Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation. (The correct path to this option may be different on certain devices, so it may be worthwhile to refer to your device manual.)
On the whole, a service like SaneBox, which users server side email folders is not ideal for BB users, although we have many customers using BlackBerry.
- If you can see the folders, but they don’t have any email in them you should read this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/57503-sync-mail-folders-other-than-inbox.html (it appears that the BB will only put new emails into those folders not sync old emails - yup another reason to switch to a real email reading device)
- Please open a Support request if you have followup questions.